Monday 31 January 2011

Baguette News - The Viroflaysienne















Boulangeries offer a pretty dizzying selection of goods to say that they are chiefly concerned with the sale of bread. I suppose it's the same in the UK, and the difference here is that I'm just less familiar with the offerings. I'm not talking so much about cakes, as actual bread.

In a pub, you couldn't really get away with asking for a "A beer", you need to specify what type, or more commonly the brand. But, I've had no problems with literally asking for a baguette. Some, some of these long loaves of bread are baguettes and the rest are other things entirely.

The bread in the photo is not a baguette. Ask for a baguette and you get something similar but different. Today, there was somebody ahead of me in the closer of the two boulangeries (usually, I go for the distant one, as it's both cheaper and better, but the last baguette I had from there was not fantastic by any stretch, so I mixed things up).

Pictured, is what is known as a viroflaysienne. I would have ignored it, had the old man in front of me not requested two and a half of them. I wasn't actually aware you could have halves. That is something else I've learnt. The end if missing, this is because tasting the bread is crucial. It is much better than a traditional baguette, but I could not tell you how it is different. It is,. however, more expensive, stepping over the dangerous one euro line by a whole ten cents.

As a measure of currency, I feel disgruntled by paying over a unit of the local money for bread. It's bread. It should be sub-euro. Eighty-give cents is fine, but this is a whole quarter of a euro more and it goes over this critical threshold.

Still, it's the dawn of a new era of asking for the other types of bread, assuming I can spot their labels and prices prior to getting served. We don't want a repeat episode of the twenty-five euros it cost for a sausage and some cured ham. Delicious though they are.

No comments: